Your personalised action plan

Thanks for answering those questions. Here are your personalised recommendations for the help you could get.

1. Help with food and other living costs

Find a foodbank

There’s no shame in needing some help. There are thousands of people in the same boat right now, so please don’t hesitate getting in touch with your local foodbank if you need to.

If it’s a Trussell Trust foodbank, you’ll need to get a foodbank voucher first. You’ll just need to call your nearest foodbank and they can tell you how to get one (from your doctor, Citizens Advice and others).

Free school meals

If your children normally get free school meals, but aren’t at school at the moment, their school should have sorted out a way to continue providing meals. Either through a catering provider, food parcels or by issuing food vouchers that you can spend in a supermarket to buy food.

Schools can keep doing this even during the Easter holidays. So if yours hasn’t, send them to the government’s website FAQs.

Get a grant for costs

Some local charities provide grants if you’re having financial difficulties. You don’t have to pay them back usually, they’re just a payment to help you pay for food and other living costs.

2. Help paying your debts

Can’t make your minimum payments?

The good news is most banks are offering some form of help (payment holidays, or not charging you if you miss a payment), so find out what’s available to you.

Going over your overdraft?

Be aware that some banks have changed their interest rates on overdrafts, so if you go over your overdraft limit you might get charged 40% interest! That’s about double what you’d pay on a credit card and it could mean you get into debt quickly.

Fortunately, some banks (including Lloyds and HSBC) are giving current accounts an extra £300 – £500 overdraft buffer (interest free). So if you normally live in your overdraft, get in touch with your bank to ask them to extend your overdraft. Just to give you a buffer for the next 6 months, so you don’t get charged interest.

Really worried about debts?

If you’re worried about your debts and you’re not sure what to do, please don’t panic. There’s always something you can do. StepChange debt charity offers free, impartial advice to help you.

3. Cancel things you don’t need

Childcare costs

If you’ve pre-paid for any childcare that you’re not using, speak to your childcare provider about getting a refund (or rolling those fees forward to cover when your kids are back in childcare).

Travel costs

If you pay for your travel on a yearly or monthly basis, you might be able to get a refund on your ticket. Just get in touch with your train or bus company.

If you’ve booked a package holiday or flight that has been cancelled, you should receive a full refund. However, we do know that some companies are refusing to issue refunds (and insisting on giving vouchers or asking you to re-book for later). If that’s the case, you can report them to ABTA.

If your travel company is stalling about giving a refund, you can try to claim under your credit card or debit card instead. Just get in touch with your bank and ask them how you do that.


A lot of subscripton services will let you cancel almost immediately, or on 30 days, so if you need some money, cancel anything that you’re not going to need over the next 3 – 6 months. You can always re-subscribe. That includes gyms, entertainment, anything that you pay for on a regular basis.
Just check for any early termination fees first!

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap