Coronavirus – money help for PAYE employees

Coronavirus financial help for PAYE employees

Hello, if you’re at all worried about getting paid or losing your job because of coronavirus, we’ve put together a list of financial help that you could get.

This page is specifically money help for individuals who are employed by a company and paid a salary through PAYE. If you’re self-employed, or a freelancer, please read our special guide for you.

Last updated: 2 November 2020

Watch the webinar

Coronavirus financial help for employees.
We walk you through the money help available to support you if you’re worried about not getting paid, or losing your job.

Changes from 1 November 2020

The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (which we all know as furlough) has been extended and will run through November.

Who can get it?

Anyone who was employed on PAYE payroll on 30 October 2020 can be put on furlough.

If your employer made you redundant just before that date, ask them to reinstate you and put you on furlough instead (but be aware that this might not be possible).

Is is only available to people who were already on furlough?

No, anyone can use the scheme. It doesn’t matter if you have been furloughed before or not. As long as your employer has a UK bank account and pays you through PAYE, you can be put on furlough.

Do I have to be a full-time employee to get furlough?

No, you can be put on furlough whether you’re a full-time employee, part-time or on a zero hours contract.

How much do I get paid on furlough?

If you are put on furlough, you will get up to 80% of your salary, up to a maximum of £2,500.

If you do any part-time work for your employer, then your furlough pay will take that into account and you’ll get furlough pay for the hours that you don’t work.

I’m worried about being made redundant, can I go on furlough instead?

We’re sorry that this is so stressful. Tell your employer that this furlough scheme is more generous than it was in October, so it will cost them less money. Your employer doesn’t have to cover any of your wages (unless you keep working whilst on furlough). They only have to cover your National Insurance and pension contributions, so that’s only about 5% of total employment costs.

Plus, you can still work for them if they need you to. Win-win.

Remind them that they can claim the Job Retention Bonus if they keep you employed until 31 January 2021. That gives them a £1,000 taxable bonus payment in Feb 2021.

Can I still work or does it have to be full-time furlough?

Yes, there’s total flexibility on how many hours you can still work for your employer. Your employer will have to pay you in the normal way for any hours you work. Then you’ll get furlough pay calculated based on the hours you don’t work.

Hang on, wasn’t furlough supposed to be replaced with a different scheme?

Yes, the Job Support Scheme (helpful that the names are confusingly similar!). It’s been put on hold until this new furlough extension finishes.

Help if you can’t work because you have coronavirus symptoms

If you can’t work and your employer will not pay you your normal salary for that time (or enhanced sick pay), you can claim statutory sick pay (SSP) from your employer. You can claim from the first day that you are unable to work and it applies if you are self-isolating because the government has advised to stay at home, even if you don’t have coronavirus symptoms.

SSP is £94.25 a week, so for some people it might be a lot less than your normal salary. It gets paid in the same way as your salary, so if you normally get paid monthly, you’ll get your SSP monthly too.

If your employer needs you to give them a form, then you can get that from NHS 111 online.

If you get made redundant and your employer won’t apply for the Job Support Scheme or a Business Interruption Loan

You will get a minimum statutory redundancy payment, as long as you have worked for the company for at least 2 years. How much you get depends on your age at the time that you worked for the company:

  • half a week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
  • one week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
  • one and half week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older

Where to find a temporary job

Supermarkets (Tesco, Asda, Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons) are hiring over 35,000 temporary workers between them. Their job sites are seeing a lot of traffic at the moment, so keep trying.

Some NHS trusts are also hiring (for project managers, logistics, admin and porters). Check the NHS Jobs website.

Of course, you need to make sure that you protect your health. So if you are in an at-risk category for coronavirus, where it could have a serious impact on your health, then these types of jobs are probably not good ones for you.

If you are let go from your job, check what benefits you can claim

Check if you can claim benefits to tide you over until you find a new job. Use the EntitledTo benefits calculator to see what you could get or speak to Citizens Advice.

There is zero shame in claiming benefits. We’re in the midst of a global pandemic and over 1 million people have already applied for universal credit since the crisis started. So please go ahead and apply if you need money to tide you over.

Coronavirus money help for PAYE employees
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap